The county was inaugurated in 1836 and spans almost the entire west Texas republic. It got its name from the Spanish province “Villa of San Fernando de Bexar” originally. It has a total land area of 1,257sq mile, 1,247 sq mi of which is land.
Its exact location is in south central Texas, 190 miles west of Houston and about 140 miles inland from the Mexican Gulf. The county has nine major highways which include Interstates 10, 35, 37 and 410. It also includes US Highway 87, 90, 181, 281 and State Highway 16. Bexar Co has a total of 7 adjacent counties including Kendall, Comal, Guadalupe, Wilson, Atascosa, medina and Bandera Counties. It is also home to the famous San Antonio Missions National Historical Park which hosts four of the five frontier missions of Spain in San Antonio.